Friday, December 23, 2011

Schell's Stag Series #4: Burton Ale

August Schell's Stag Series #4, a Burton Ale, reproducing a long lost style from the days before pale ales or IPAs. Once again, I happily enjoyed 5 bottles out of a 6-pack, and then sat down with #6 to examine it. Notes follow:


Clear, reddish-copper coloring, slim, off-white head.

Aroma, grainy, malty, small hops. Nice. Clean, but rather quiet. 

Taste: rich, malty, and slightly sweet. Very malt-driven, fruity, and scrumptious. 
I'm not getting much hop bitterness, not even a little. Maybe there's just enough to tamp down the malt sweetness. 
Soft, creamy, and satisfying. Not a chore, nor a challenge, nor terrible rewarding, either. Just satisfying. Good sessioner, though it's on the strong side. 
I do find myself wishing for more hops, but that's wanting this to be something it never was supposed to be.Ain't nothing wrong with what it is. 

(I also didn't detect the 8% alcohol, either.)

No comments: