Saturday, December 10, 2011

New Belgium Lips of Faith: Clutch (Sour Dark Ale)


New Belgium Clutch
Solid stygian clad, full head, large, looming cocoa/tan head, much lace and utterly lovely.

In the nose, cocoa and cream, milky smooth, some vanilla, some cocoa. A little nutty. Lovely, lovely. ( I said that before, though.)

Tasting it: Bigness in the flavor, in the fullness, in the mouthfeel. flush with fruit, with yeast, …here's where we get the sour. This Belgian-style flavor turns a little tart, then turns a lot. Little grape and cherry going on. 

When this came out,  I heard the opinions first, before I tried it. I heard "this isn't sour! Waah, be sourer!" Well, I tried it, and damn, what's your problem? It's plenty sour. Do all they new breed of sour -heads need to have everything palate-ripping, and tongue-destroying? 

It's a stout, and it's sour. It's an experimental collaboration between a band and a brewery. And it works. The only problem is that it isn't exactly like what the critics expect/and/or/demand it to be. 

But, damn it, I'm digging it. 


No comments: