Saturday, November 5, 2011

Town Hall Three Hour Tour Coconut Stout


Lately, I've been breaking Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery traditions like it's going out of fashion. I missed out on Fresh Hop Ale for the first time since they produced it, six years ago. Didn't make it down for a single growler, let alone one of the first with the hop cone inside. This year, they only sold them on the first day, and no more. Ah well, I stopped in for a glass before it was gone.

And last week, Anniversary Week, I didn't make a single appearance, didn't try to get one of the special Mango Mama growlers, didn't have any Czar Jack, etcetera. Haven't had any Anniversary Ale yet, either. Had only one day off that week, and spent the night at the new(-ish) 2nd location, Town Hall Tap, which is closer to me now than the original brewery was to my old place. And, while there, didn't drink a single Town Hall brew. Wasn't in the mood for pumpkin ale, oktoberfest, or coffee porter.

So, I finally made it there on Tuesday night for some grub and some growlers, taking home the wheat wine, which we'll get to soon, and the phenomenal cocoanut stout, that's been turning beer geek heads since they first release it at a WinterFest several years ago.

I'm wondering if this is the first time it's been growlered, but I look at BeerAdvocate, and, Holy Moly, 44 reviews? 31 growlers, 13 on tap, ...well, shows what I knows!
I look at the reviews, and what do you know, a lot of folks around the USA, many sharing tastes from the same growler, sent from someone out here. Some recent, some last year. I've been asleep on this whole cocoanut stout-hyping business.

Well, I can't say anything, because I started that hype machine, not for THT, but for THB in general. 
Some very high marks, there, but you can't argue with quality. Here's what I jotted down as I took down a pint or so last night. 

Three hour tour. Coconut stout. 5.9% ABV. Stout aged with cocoanut. 

Dark brown body, enormous cocoa-toned head, sleek and lovely. Yes.

Aroma: yeah, that's cocoanut, sweet, and cocoa-nutty. Some dark stout-ish flavors lurk below, but it's really all about the cocoanut. 

Taste: Mmmm, the cocoanut reigns supreme here, as well, and the stout stands tall beneath. Smooth, creamy, full-bodied, thick, lush and mmm. Slight bitterness, rich cocoanut flavor, with requisite coffee and chocolate flavors. 

What's great about this? No holds barred. Doesn't hold back, but neither goes too far. Perfect balance. Not subtle in the cocoanut flavor, delivers it all in just the right amount. Just about perfect. Yu, um.

No comments: