Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Schell's Dark


 I trashed this when I first reviewed way back when, so many years ago. I don't think it's as bad as that, anymore. So, I'm giving it another chance, thanks to the sampler pack.

A clear bottle, odd enough, as most of their other beers, beside the Grain Belt brands, use brown bottles.

Clear, reddish-brown coloring, slim white head.

Caramel malt and cereal grain aromatics. Lightly sweet.

Sweet malt hits the flavor first, just enough, and then nothing. Fast finish, slips off the palate swiftly, light bodied. Some grainy mouthfeel and texture. I can't tell you if it's Deer Brand with food coloring, as some "dark" versions of light lagers purportedly use, but I'm willing to bet it's a very similar recipe, with just a bit more dark malts added, not enough to add extra body. 

Extremely consumable, and very likable. There's not a single thing lacking in this, and not a wrong note, nor any off flavors.  I actually used to be repulsed by this one, had complete and utter disdain for it, and now I find it very pleasing. 

No comments: