Sunday, November 13, 2011

August Schell Firebrick lager

The Schell's sample pack keeps on giving. And I keep on looking back on old reviews for them. Some, like Oktoberfest, I had to hold off, and try to give it another try. My old review was not kind to it, and it deserves better now. But I think the Firebrick has retained it's character, over the years.  April, 2003, was when I made these notes:


Color is a clear orangey, head is a thick, fluffy white.

Aroma is sweet and fresh, with touches of citrus,sea air, and a whiff of caramel, maybe. Palate is smooooth, with a trifly, tumbling texture for the tongue to play over. Very tasty, and sweet, and the malt's really pulling it's weight.

Very rich and satisfying, and not as thin in body like others of a similar style. If I can name names, I'd be happy if this one was the default beer everywhere on earth, like Samuel Adams is. It has a firmer body, and is malty, hoppy, malty, hoppy, a beautiful tango, back and forth, the two keeping pace with one another and surprise and delight the palate.
Again, a great lager.

"All malt Vienna Style Lager" What, are they sneaking something else into their other beers? Do I have to keep an eye on those guys in New Ulm?
Nonetheless, Firebrick's a winner.












No comments: