Tuesday, September 1, 2015

56 Brewing NE Nectar Honey Kolsch


The sample man from 56 brought more samples. One of them was a 750 ml mini-growleretterino (a name of my invention, feel free to use it as you will) of a beer that they'd already sampled us with, the NE Nectar, a honey kolsch. I didn't like it then, but I tasted it at work, with others. Maybe having it all by myself in the privacy of my home will warm me up to it.


Lightly hazy, amber-hued, slim white head.

Slightly sweet aromatics, but mostly devoid. Not getting much of anything from this nose. Light malt, little hops.

Tasting it, more sweetness, more light malt, and the honey's really coming through.
A little graininess to the malt, a little texture ...not as light and smooth as a kolsch ought to be. I suspect they hold to the same ideas as the brewers at Enki, that all you need to call something a kolsch is the yeast, and you can switch out the malt and hops as you please, altering flavors as you will.

It lacks the delicate but discernible flavors of apple and pear that you'll get when you do a kolsch right. Every good attempt has some of that light fruitiness that pays off in the end. Not happening here.

If their primary aim was a quenchable honey ale fit for summertime refreshment, they came close to their goal. But the flavors are very off, there's  no real coalescing of components, it's just not good. Someone may be drinking it out there, and they're welcome to it, but...well, I said it already. "Good enough" isn't "good enough" for me.

No comments: