Sunday, September 6, 2015

Toppling Goliath Zeelander India Pale Ale


Toppling Goliath Zeelander India Pale Ale.

Hooray, TGB is finally in Minnesota, hooray! But, this one was bought in Wisconsin. Only four of TGB's beers wound up on local shelves, all beers I'd reviewed here before. I checked into getting kegs, but it's off-premise only for another month or so. Oh, yeah, I tried to get kegs of Psuedo-Sue, but I must exercise patience.

Couldn't wait for this one, though, and grabbed it in Hudson, WI.

Zeelander. I don't know what the name means or why there's a plane in the picture. Let's just get into the beer. ( A quick Googling only reveals a yacht manufacturer. Deeper Googling could find more. How deep should I go?)

It's a highly clouded affair, beautiful, golden/amber coloring, milky froth on top.

Subtle aromatics. Grapes are here, maybe apricots, other stone fruits. a little bit of lemon. Very cool, very clean.

In the mouth, it's a bold, fresh blast of bitterness that ends dry and clean. Medium-bodied, fresh and fruity. I like this. Not your average india pale ale. It's tasty, tasty stuff. Just delicious. Juicy malt. Bitter, dry, clean, yum.

What's the gobbledygook? "Zeelander showcases bothe the explosive upfront taste and the gentle nuances in the finish of the Nelson Sauvin hop. It's lingering bitter body brings forward both dankness and grapefruit flavors, delivering a subtle earthy finish that perfectly compliments this hop heavy IPAs explosive beginning."

I'm not entirely down with that. For one, "dankness"...ugh, one of my least favorite beer words.

Whatever, it's a nice one. Go ahead and drink it.  

No comments: