Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Oliphant Eleventacles Wee Heavy Scotch Ale

Oliphant Eleventacle Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, 8% ABV, somerset, WI.

I had been in the habit of snapping photos of Oliphant's chalkboard on my visits and sharing the illustrations here. But the last time, when I got this crowler, we didn't have a seat at the bar, and I didn't feel like being that geek who gets in people's way to take a picture. Just trust me that there were tentacles involved. Or, more accurately, eleventacles.

Dark brown appearance, with ruby-ish highlights, under a thin, soon-gone, brownish head.

Deep, malty nose, chocolate notes, caramel and toffee, too. Just enough sweetness. And not too much.

In the mouth. it's full, rich and impressive. Dark and delicious. Nearly thick. Moderate bitterness keeps up with the sweet. Perfect balance here. Pretty near excellent, if not exactly that.

Yum. this one hits the mark. Although, my favorite Oliphant beer remains Gaer Bear Baltic Porter, which I oddly haven't returned home with to review. They did have the barrel-aged anniversary version on that last visit, and that's the growler we'll visit next.

No comments: