Thursday, September 3, 2015

Steel Toe Sticker Fight Double India Pale Ale


Steel Toe Sticker Fight Double IPA. 8.5% a.b.v. 85 IBU. Steel Toe Brewing, St. Louis Park, MN.

Before I drink it, a discussion about the name of this beer. I have no idea what it means. So, don't ask me. But, someone did and I had to guess. Gee, I don't know, someone got into a fight with stickers? There's always a stack of stickers at the point of sale at Steel Toe's taproom. Maybe, one night, the staff was restless and started slapping them on each other? Makes sense, right? Silly, sure, but there are lot worse names out there, a lot of dumber ones, more vulgar ones, incomprehensible ones, and just plain crazy ones. The less said about that, the better. Let's drink a beer.

Clouded, yet bright, golden-hued, with a vast and lasting cloud-white head. Looking incredible, if it's okay to roll out superlatives so early. Well, I'm in charge here, so I say it is okay.

Bright, bold, fierce, fresh, and pithy aromatics. Screams of grapefruit. Freshly ripped rind, dripping with pine. Certain to revive any deprived hophead. This is the juice, the crank, the high grade shit. Ah... just about perfect.

In the mouth and on the palate, it's more of the same, much much more. Totally lupulin pleasure. Bursting with vibrant American hop flavors, lean-bodied, crisp malt, but completely hop-forward. A text-book definition of an amazing double IPA.

The label is typically fresh of gobbledygook, in Steel Toe Style, not even a mention of the ABV. I'd guess 9%, maybe more. Hops? Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy...I'd just be guessing. They could be the usual suspects of Cascade, Centennial, Columbus...I'll look it up. Maybe it's out there somewhere.

The alcohol is slowly creeping into the flavor, and we're getting more of that intensity, the texture grows deeper, the flavors widen. The citrus fruit flavors turn candied, become sharper, more magnified. And this is when it really gets good, as far as I'm concerned. This is going to destroy me, but it is sending me somewhere special, while it tastes so very good.

I will have to consider this one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. Goes right up there with the best of them.

Edit: Four years after this review, all the information I can find on this beer is on the Untappd listing and is inaccurate, of course: Double IPA exclusive to the tap room.

Edit  #2: Found more: Our Double IPA, Sticker Fight is the big tropical fruity, juicy fruit, mango laden friend, you’ve always desired. The body is crisp, with just enough sweetness to counter the onslaught of aromatic and flavorful hops. Supremely satisfying, utterly demanded by fans.

No comments: