Thursday, September 10, 2015

Fair State LactoBac 7 (fill in your own damn umlauts)


Fair State Lactobac 7. Once more, I open the growler after forgetting what's in it, by which i mean, what's this LactoBac all about. Is it the sour saison? Are there blueberries involved? No, blackberries? Some kind of fruit. All I remember is that I tried it the first day they released it at the taproom, nearly two weeks ago. And I liked it. So, what is it?

Thoroughly clouded, deep crimson coloring, pinkish head, long-lasting. Looking like a raspberry smoothie.

In the nose, the fruit and the funk. Not so much "sour" yet, but definitely tart. And a little strange, too.

In the mouth, sourness reigns, a drying, puckering tartness takes over the palate, occasionally refreshed by fruit. For the life of me, I can't determine which fruit puree is in here exactly, but odds are it's blackberry. And, damn it, it works. The weird funk of the lactobacillus at work is beautifully offset by the berries. Medium-bodied, not a bit bitter, with just enough malt heft to hold it aloft.

This is a rough and rustic brew, not a refined product destined to please the masses. There's still particles of puree floating about and sometimes they get caught in my throat.

Here's what they say on the website: LÄCTOBÄC: SEVEN
4.3% ABV | 10 IBU | 10.6 GRAVITY
The seventh installment of the LÄCTOBÄC series is, well, purple. Very purple. A sour wheat with over 200lbs of blackberries added. 4.3% ABV, 10 IBU, pH 3.35.

It's good beer, and I could drink it.

No comments: