Thursday, September 10, 2015

Ballast Point Pumpkin Down


Ballast Point Pumpkin Down Scottish Ale, with Pumpkin, our Piper Down Ale with Pumpkin and Spices. Alc. 5.8% by Vol. Crafted and bottled by Ballast Point Brewing, San Diego, CA.

More skeletons! This one weighted down to the ground by his bagpipes, apparently.

Clear, light brown coloring, slim, beige head that settles soon to nil.

There's the spice right off the bat, cinnamon, allspice, etc., clove, a bit. Maybe there's pumpkin here, too, but I haven't hit it yet.

In the mouth: spices lead the way again, with a hint of the orange gourd just beneath. Malty stuff, slightly sweet, with spices always leading the show. It's mostly spices stealing the spotlight. Not my favorite kind of "pumpkin ale", I like to taste the vegetable flesh, too.

You know what? I like this, but I don't love it. But it is good beer, and I can drink it, so there's something to be said for that.

No comments: