Thursday, November 2, 2017

Bell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Winter White Ale. Bell's Brewery, Comstock, MI. 5% ABV.

As you may know or have surmised, I try my best to put all the beers I try, or have tried, into the Nib. But if a beer appears here, I have to be drinking it now. This mean that for the past seven years since I began this blog, I have not had any Bell's Winter White Ale, which I did a review of long ago. And thanks to the sample man, a bottle finally came my way, and so I'll these notes that I originally posted on BeerAdvocate.com oh, so long ago.


2-07-04
I've since had this one many more times, fresh off of a new keg, and found more to appreciate than before, and have raised my ratings from the original appraisal to reflect this new appreciation. No, it's not what I'd look for in a winter beer, but that's no reason to rate against what it is...which is a smooth, tasty wheat...here's the original, but I'd definitely recant the low opinion of the aroma...maybe it was the bar I was in at the time...also, banana is felt keener, as well...

Appearance: cloudy dull orange, opaque, with a solid, bone-white head, 1/2", long-lasting.
Aroma: on the mild side, yielding minor notes of spice and citrus, doesn't stand forward in the least, though, but nicely woven, nonetheless.
Taste: neat spiciness starts off on the palate, coriander, chiefly, with the citrus character continuing in the taste, though terribly muted compared to other wits. Compared to their own Oberon, which is a bright, juicy explosion of fruity/yeasty goodness, it's a mellow affair, with the finish, too, on the downlow, though it fades happily off the tongue. The citric twang on the palate is persistent and well-liked by this tongue.
Drinkability is quite good, but in the final summation, this Bell's fan would sooner reach for a TwoHearted or one of their spectacular stouts. I hope it appeals to others, as it's not a bad beer in the least. Just not great.

No comments: