Friday, November 24, 2017

Oliphant Scare Bear Bourbon Barrel-aged Baltic Porter

I had to go way back through all of my previous Oliphant posts to see if I'd reviewed Gaer Bear Baltic Porter before. It appeared in the first post, from a glass at the taproom, nearly 3 years ago, although I voiced my approval, but went no further. I would love to review in depth again, but I have not been there again when it was on tap and I could take home a growler or a crowler. But, before that can happen, let's try the bourbon barrel-aged version, shall we. Indeed we shall.

Scare Bear, bourbon barrel-aged Gaer Bear Baltic Porter, 9% ABV, Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

Solid blackness, with a thin tanned ring of foam atop.

In the nose: whiskey, ash, char, vanilla, cherry, bourbon.

In the mouth: Rich, sweet, malty. Full-bodied, long malty finish. Abundant sweetness, over-run with bourbon barrel flavor. Not that I mind.
Absolute decadence. Utterly delicious.

This one made for a magnificent nightcap.

scare bear | breckenridge bourbon barrel-aged baltic porter | 9% abv it's spooooooky!



No comments: