Thursday, November 9, 2017

Sisyphus Hades The River Cinnamon Styx

Sisyphus Hades The River Cinnamon Styx. 11.5% ABV, 80 IBU. Sisyphus Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. Imperial Stout with cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa nibs & ancho chilies.

Dark brown coloration, nearly black, with a large tannish hued head, looking very nice. Very, very nice.

In the nose: Sweet and spicy, earthy. All cinnamon. A bit of anise and molasses behind, backed by a bunch of malt.

In the mouth: More and more cinnamon. When I first had this on at the taproom, it was bit too spicy and hot for me. But I went back and bought a crowler, because I had to tackle it. I couldn't skip this one. Left it in the fridge for a week, and tonight's the night to drink it. It's still hot, earthy, malty, spicy, hoppy, huge.

This is also a beer you could not order at the bar, and could only take home in the crowler. Wait, you're asking me, didn't you say you had it at the taproom. Yes, a sample. And that sample was enough to say, "hmm, maybe, maybe not." Drinking it now, it's a fine stout, if you're up for the heat and the spice. I can't see myself returning to it over and over again. This one crowler should do it for me. Or, I could see sharing one with friends. But, it doesn't give me what I really want in an Imperial Stout. And how often do I want to drink this much cinnamon?

I'll give it this: it's certainly it's own thing. And there ain't nothing wrong with that.



No comments: