Thursday, November 9, 2017

Oliphant Also Bort Belgian-style Tripel Ale.

Oliphant Also Bort. Tripel Ale. 9.2% ABV. Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

It's crazy. This beer has been around for nearly two and a half years, and I've just recently got my first taste of it at the taproom. I'm never there when it's on, or it's brother, just plain Bort. You can be sure that I would have if it were, for I certainly wouldn't have skipped a beer of a favorite style named after such a great Simpsons reference.

I'd seen it in a crowler recently at a local liquor store, but passed, knowing that I'd be at the taproom soon and wanted to get it straight from the source. Went with a glass growler on this, instead of the crowler. This way, instead of having to finish one can in one night, I can reseal it and finish it off tomorrow. See how smart I am. S-M-R-T! I am so smart! I mean, S-M-A-R-T!

Enough palaver, it's time to drink some Also Bort. (And maybe, just maybe, someday I'll get some regular Bort, too. We can't have everything we want all at once, can we?)

To the eye: Clear, bright golden hue, under a slim, but sturdy, ivory head.

In the nose: Classic triple aromatics, slightly sweet, fruity, spicy, candi sugar and bubblegum. Orange, peach, and puree of pineapple.

In the mouth: Sweetness and spice lead the charge again, with moderate hop bitterness, and mostly malt on the playing field. High alcohol is also apparent from the start, but it's not troubling in any way shape or fashion, not yet. As I mentioned above, I'm not finishing this in one sitting, no mama, I'll drink half now and down the rest tomorrow....or, maybe I won't, and I'll just wish I hadn't in the morning? With all the fruit and the spice and the booze, I am throughly digging it. It certainly reminds me of Delirium Tremens from the days when that beer was novel and fresh.

Remarkably smooth and terrifically tasty. Starts sweet, ends dry. It only tastes a little bit like burning.

(If you're confused, that's another Simpsons
reference. Classic Ralph. )
In this permanent chalkboard illustration, Jeremy has used
an old Tommy Roe Greatest hits album as his canvas.
It's called 12 in a Roe, and a large Tommy looms over many
smaller Tommys. Jeremy replaced Mr. Roe with Bartholomew
J, and his miniature selves. 

also bort
dangusrous is what this is. it's also what we aim to beeeeeee. c'mon and flap, flap away with us to a land where everyone is also bort. that's nice! peace.

Bonus: I got a keg of it recently that I will soon tap at Acadia. Every day we can all drink all the Also Bort we want!



No comments: