Sunday, November 26, 2017

Junkyard Far Out Stout

Junkyard Brwing Far Out Stout Series Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout. "That's Far Out, Man."
Stout brewed with cocoa and spices. 8.8% alc. by vol.

I had a completely different movie cued up for watching while drinking this beer, but the look on the Dude's face on the label of this crowler led me in a decidedly different direction.

"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

To the eye: solid darkness, nicely tanned head, lasting long and leaving lace. Absolutely gorgeous. Flat out lovely.

"Nothing is fucked, here."

In the nose: cinnamon screams out. Peppers, chiles? Yep. Earthy, dirty, malty, spicy.

"Man, I've got certain information, man, certain things have come to light. It might not be just a simple... you know?..... I'll tell you what I'm blathering about....I've got information, man! New shit has come to light!"

In the mouth: More spice, more heat, more pepper. Hot, rich, malty, cool. "And that's cool, that's, that's cool." Chocolate comes roaring in, taking over for a moment from the peppers, and momentarily mingling in.

"She's got to feed the monkey. Hasn't that ever occurred to you, man, sir?"

"That had not occurred to us, Dude."

"Well, you weren't privy to the new shit, dude..."

It's been a few years since I peppered a review with Lewbowski quotes, so I don't feel like it's a well-worn device just yet.  Man, you want a toe?  I can get you a toe. Believe me, there are ways, Dude, you don't want to know about it, believe me, Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon, with nail polish.

It's getting hotter and spicier, maltier, and a little more than I like. But that's what pushing buttons and boundaries is all about, man, I mean, you know, in the parlance of our times, with all this new shit coming to light....

Full body, long, malty finish, lasting pepper heat. An immersive experience, intense, incredible, richly rewarding, but not one that I would return to myself. Makes me feel just a little bit bad, for this reason.  I found this crowler at a certain store, hiding behind a King Size crowler. Not a great hiding spot, putting it behind another Junkyard beer I'd been looking for. The clerk said: "Oh, you found my stash." And he would not stop talking about it. After I paid and he bagged me up, he said: "Enjoy my Far Out Stout." Okay, I will, and I am, and I never will again. I hope he has first dibs again, and I will pass it up if I see it there. Pepper beers are fine, but not what I crave. I can totally do without them.

This version in our Far Out Stout series has added spiciness and a richer chocolate taste to our already delicious recipe! We brewed this beer with cocoa powder, lactose, and a heavy grain bill to give it its rich, chocolatey taste and ancho and guajillo chili peppers for a touch of warmth. Then we aged it on cinnamon bark so this beer would resemble a delicious cup of traditional Mexican hot chocolate that fills you with chocolatey goodness before warming your tongue just a hint. 
8.8% Alc/Vol
40 IBUs

"I'm staying'. I'm finishing my coffee."


No comments: