Friday, November 24, 2017

Disgruntled Double Stuffed Milk Stout

Double Stuffed Milk Stout. Disgruntled Brewing, Perham, MN. 6% ABV. Canned on : 11-13.

To the eye: thoroughly blackened, utterly opaque, large tanned head, that slips down to a tight ring.

In the nose: Rich, sweet, creamy, chocolatey. Cookie crust. So far, it seems like we're stepping into an Oreo beer, if there is such a thing.

In the mouth: Dark malts with a chocolate edge, deep and delicious. I try not to repeat certain words or phrases, but I want to go back to rich and creamy and sweet. Full bodied, smooth, ending on a dry-ish note. Hop bitterness is here, too, and it serves to keep the sweet in check, rounding out the palate.

This is excellent. Go drink it.

I found a surprising number of Disgruntled crowlers at a certain local store recently, and had quite a job of choosing. Glad I skipped Lingerer, because that's the one I brought back in a growler from my visit to the brewery last year. (I wouldn't mind having another, of course. But with so many beers out there to try, I have to stretch my dollars.) I'll return to pick up the rest, before I contemplate the question of whether it's wise to support them after the departure of head brewer Brett Doebbelling.

With beers like this in his portfolio, there's no question that Brett will find another home for his incredible creations.

No comments: