Friday, July 15, 2011

Boulder Hoopla Pale Ale


Boulder Hoopla Pale Ale. I'm not copying the story on the side, it's far too long. But I'll summarize it. Jam band keyboardist/homebrewer and Boulder brewer collaborated…it's designed for hula hoop-ing hippies, apparently…dry-hopped with Glacier…American and German malt…blah, blah, blah….I'm going to drink it while listening to Lou Donaldson's "Alligator Boogaloo" and imagine the girl on the cover doing a hula hoop, slowly…

Anyway! The beer! Let's open it!

Clear, coppery color…huge head, milky toned, leaving lace. Nice.

Soft, but lively, floral aromatics, loaded with citrus notes. I'm wondering if there's more than Glacier going on here, but I don't know as much about that one as I'd like.

Taste: Zesty, spicy malt mouthfeel. Is it crystal rye malt? This really reminds me of SurlyFest, and it's malt profile. Whatever, it's clean, fresh, bright, slightly sweet, and delicious. Mmmm, mmm, mmm. Lightly tingly hop profile, lays long on the palate. Utterly pleasant, perfectly pleasing. Hops bump happily against sweet malt. Great drinking, great tasting.

I'll drink this with a hippie any ol' day.

No comments: