Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tyranena Scurvy IPA



Tyranena Scurvy, originally in the Brewers Gone Wild series, now a regular offering, will always have a spot in my beer-y heart. It was one of the first Tyranena beers I ever tapped at the Nile, and on the occasion of a special party for my 40th birthday. Six special beers/and/or casks tapped on the half hour between 4 pm and 7 pm, 3 from Surly and 3 from Tyranena. Scurvy was making it's debut in Minnesota with this tapping. The other beers I can't remember. Give me time, it'll come to me. The crew from Surly made it out, as well as Rob from Tyranena and some of his flock. He was especially glad to see his beers on tap at the Nile, since I'd written glowing reviews of his beers online.
Aside from the Surly releases and other associated events, this was the first beer event I put on, really, three years ago. Great turnout, lots of fine presents, even from people I never met, and lots of good beer love flowing around. Surly fans, Tyranena fans, family and friends showed up. It was a day I'll never forget, for sure.

So, where's what I wrote about Scurvy, three years ago, July, 2008:


Fresh keg, just tapped.

Cast in a bronze/amber hue, big, creamy white head.

Mellow aromatics, floral, citric hops, very even and cool.

On the tongue, here's the first spank of hops, the citric/pine tickle, lingering on the palate, then slowly fading off. Bright orange flavor peeks in just a bit. Hops and orange flavor keep trickling in, but it's never too much. Tastes a lot like Bitter Woman, but juicier, moister, ...lacks dryness, but that's what makes it unique.

Very tasty, very drinkable. Yum.
--------------------------------
I'm still saying Yum.

No comments: