Sunday, July 31, 2011

Town Hall Thunderstorm Summer Ale


Brewed every summer for the past seven years, winner of several awards, here's the beer I intended to have only a couple pints of last night, and instead nearly finished the whole 64 ounces. Dang, sometimes beers can be too drinkable. And here's what I wrote about it, in August of 2004:

-------------------------------------
I may have picked the wrong style designation, I admit, but I can't figure out where this would go, it's such a unique creation.

German Bohemian Pilsner malt, orange blossom honey, bitter and sweet orange peel, lemongrass and Belgian candy sugar, plus a unique American yeast new to the brewery, and a smaller hop content than we're used to...and boozier than typical, too!

Pours a clear amber color, with a big, puffy white head that has a short stay atop the glass.

Aroma is sweetness itself, the honey and orange really mixing well and projecting boldly, with some herbal, grassy notes, as well.

Taste: bright, sweet, and smooth, with a decent texture, but a bit thin in the mouthfeel, until the alcohol creeps forward. So easy going and even delicious,slick, even, you could slip down quite a few, before the booze bonks your noggin!

Quite a nice, easy-drinking ale to salute the last few weeks of summer proper. Quite unclassifiable, too, and I offer anyone the chance to correct me. (I first thought "American Blonde Ale", then changed it to "Belgian Pale", but that still doesn't cover it!)
Way to go, Mr. Hoops, another interesting, great tasting creation!

No comments: