Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Brasserie D'achouffe McChouffe



Here's Belg-A Rama #8, beer #2, a Scotch ale from Brasserie D'achouffe, those keepers of the gnomes (but everyone thinks they're Santa Claus on the tap handle!).
The review I did was another early gusher, from January, 2003, way back 8 1/2 years ago, when I was a scruffy lad of 35. Here's what I wrote:
--------------------------------------
Deep dark murky brown color, small, but simmering, tan head.
Aroma: mollasses, nuts, butter, cream, dates, raisins, dark rum, all the rich flavors one can imagine.
Thick, full, hot mouthfeel, full body, tingly hops.
Super-charged with hops, the flavor keeps on coming, simmers and stews, with a long lasting, rich, satisfying finish!
Takes the cake for all brown ales everywhere, past, present, future.
Round, delicious, sensuous, and utterly lip smackin'!
---------------------------------------

that was from a big, bad, brown bomber bottle. Drinking it now, on tap...yeah, it's still pretty damned good!

One not so hidden fact about this blog, is that I try to have the appropriate glassware whenever possible. This is why I haven't boxed any glasses up for my upcoming move. And this is why I didn't choose Brasserie des Rocs Tripel Imperiale, because I know for a fact that there is one BdR glass here somewhere. And same for Poperings Hommel Ale, I know there has to be at least one. The others? Kasteel Cuvee de Chateau, I have the glassware, but it will require a full review. Not feeling like it tonight. Delirium Tremens is also part of Belg-a-Rama #8, and if you recall my entries on the other Delirium brews, this one calls for a rewrite. Stay tuned as I search for those glasses, and buckle down for some serious scrutinizing.

No comments: