Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cuvee des Trolls Cuvee Speciale 10th Anniversary


I had no idea Cuvee des Trolls was 10 years old. I had never heard of it, until kegs were offered a couple of years ago. Those Belgians and their love of little people. The gnomes of Brasserie d'achouffe, the "erthels" of Urthel, and one of the most famous cartoon character out of Belgium, Peyo's Smurfs.

To get myself in the proper mood, I put on a movie. Not "Troll 2", that's about goblins, no matter what the director will tell you. I'd never seen the original "Troll" from 1986, but what a delight. Swinging Sonny Bono, lovely June Lockhart, a surprisingly non-wooden Michael Moriarty, and an evil Troll trying to turn an apartment building into a fantasy forest /alternate dimension. He just about turns every tenant into a horrible rubbery creature, except Julia Louis Dreyfus, who becomes a scantily clad wood nymph, which is how it should be, of course.

Ah, but the beer. Here's what I had to say:

Cuvee' des Trolls Cuve'e Speciale, Belgian Ale Refermented in the bottle. I pint, 9.4 fl. oz. , 10th Anniversary Cuvee Speciale, Product of Belgium, 7% Alc., by Vol.
From Brasserie Dubuisson, makers of the Bush/Scaldis line. I like them.
Brewed in limited quantities, Troll's 10th Anniversary special edition accentuates the delicate qualities and fruity aroma of Cuvee des Trolls thanks to it's secondary fermentation in the bottle. Enjoy!
Brewed with: water, malt, sugar, hops, and yeast.

Clouded, golden-hue, large, snowy-white head, lacy and long-lasting.

Aromatics of yeast, light malt, light hops, citrus-y hops and considerable spice. Air-y, lemon-y, and delightful. Mmm, mmm.

Now, let's taste it: light, spritzy, carbonated, lemon and orange, yeasty. Mmm. Now, how is this different from regular Trolls? I can't think of it. I don't have a regular Trolls next to me to compare to it. But, what can I say, it's Mmmm, mmm.
So good. A little sharp, a little smooth, a bit creamy, and altogether mmmm.
Another gulp, another sip, and it's more mmm, yeah.

Again, I can't say there's anything better than the regular Trolls, and I tried it for the first time two years ago….more yeast, more smooth, more creamy, more Mmmm.

Light bodied, light textured, fluffy mouthfeel…mmm, and yum, I just keep saying'…cream and orange, lemon and yum, not too this, not too that, just altogether ahhh….

No comments: