Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Brooklyn Lager


March, 2006 was the first time I had a bottle of Brooklyn Lager, or at least, the first occasion to write about it. (Pretty sure I'd never had one before.) Last night was the first time I'd had one since, a can given to me by The Illustrated Beer Man himself, Joe Falkowski, one my birthday, shortly after doing a Brooklyn tasting at the first Barley's Angels meeting at the Muddy Pig. I've had a few Brooklyn pints since they arrived in our market, but this was the first I'd had at home. So many new breweries in town, so little time, so much catching up to do!

Here come the notes:
-------------------

Clear, amber appearance, under a slim, but sturdy speckled white head.

Creamy, malty nose, quite attractive...soft and flowery, pleasant esters from yeast (?)... I like it.

Taste: smooth, clean, crisp, malty. Light bodied, but nicely textured, good grit, tight balance, tidy hops meet copious malt. A streamlined beauty, full of flavor. Blend of fruit associations chimes in, some apple, melon, grape, mixed with grain.

Quite a classy lager, this one, damned good. Almost ale-like in it's display of flavors. Just goes to show what happens when a lager is done well!

Can be drunk without disappointment, and no end in sight for the taste. Very, very nice!

S

No comments: