Friday, July 29, 2011

Flat Earth Northwest Passage IPA



Can this be the first Flat Earth I've done since re-starting this seven months ago? I've got some catching up to do!
It looks like I first tapped Flat Earth's highly hoppy IPA, Northwest Passage, about 2 years ago, August, 2009. Here's what I thought then:

----------------------
Clear, golden-hued, edging on tangerine in tone. Nice 1/4 " cap of rocky, snowy white foam.

Aroma: sweetness, then bitter, loads of citrus, very pithy grapefruit, orange, lemon, and pickled prickly pine, in there, too.
Quite nice.

On the tongue, a blitz of bitterness, a blast of buoyant fruit, bouncing on the palate, swimming in the mouth, but overall well-behaved...if needing more malt sweetness to tie it together. Says the guy who loves a great big double IPA. But this isn't one. Or is it. We're told it's 115 IBUs. No argument, it's terrifically bitter, and yet, only 6.5%.
Here's a tasty IPA you can drink, if you have a great tolerance/taste for hoppiness, ...but may grow weary of, if you need more comfort that malt brings. Especially if you plan to have more than one. That's my worry, that this is a one and done kind of IPA.

I like this one, and I'm glad FE's first IPA is so solid, but it'd be great to have one a bit more balanced. Something with this hop profile, yet more malt backbone could be a viable alternative to Furious, or any other local IPAs. What local IPAs?
My point.

I will continue to enjoy this!
-----------------
and I do, too!

No comments: