Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fitger's Brewhouse El Nino IPA

There's a "Feiffer" comic strip from the 1950's with a an embarassed man and a confused woman sitting at a cafe table. She asks him to repeat the incredible information that he'd sheepishly revealed. This dance goes on for several panels, until he's ready to finally spit it out once again, and in the final panel he whispers the scandal to her: "I've never been to Europe."

I think of this strip whenever I tell people I've never been to Duluth, and they can't believe their ears. What can I say, neither school, or work, or family, or friends have ever provided the opportunity. No kayaking, or hikes, or any kind of visit to the north shore of Lake Superior. 
I don't drive, or own a car, I'm not married, or have a significant other. The situation just never presented itself. There's no rapid transit light rail line to carry me there. I would say to the amazed ears of my friends, "hey, next time you go, take me with you." 

This approach finally worked, and my friend Ed Jackson had time off in the middle of the week, during my two usual days off, Tuesday and Wednesday. He got us a motel room, and drove us on up, so now, finally, I'm in Duluth, and a few blocks from the renowned Fitger's Brewhouse.

In the past eight years, I've reviewed 25 growlers from Fitger's, brought back by generous friends from their travels to Duluth, leaving me with four empty growlers to finally fill this week. Immediately after checking into the motel, we headed to the the pub, and I had my first ever pint of Fitger's beer at the location. I chose a Big Boat Oatmeal Stout on cask for my first, and El Nino IPA for my second. Here, then, notes from June, 2005, of Fitger's El Nino India Pale Ale:

Appearance: clear and deep-orange to ruby in tint, with a slim, but stable layer of foam keeping guard on top. 
Aroma: raw, piney hops at the fore, revealed in full after a few sniffs...vibrant and abundant in deep, dark fruit. Herbal...piney/sprucey..Dry-hopped? this is an aroma that needs time to open in order to fully spill forth all of it's delights. 
Big, bitter hoppy bite, quite a way to start, mellowing å bit as it's time to swallow. Bitterness lingers. Taste gets juicier with the next sip and gulp, bitterness hangs more on the tongue. Very tangy, with a simmering citric character, grapefruit, grape, berry, but raw, potent hops rubbing up against everything and utterly coating and dominating the palate...not that I mind. I like that kind of thing, mind you... 
Sweetish caramel malty background provides excellent support...very yummy, with the bitterness...this is "double-hopped", if I recall correctly...never settling down...balance schmalance, I say, leave these to professionals and go get yourself a "bitter". 
Damn this is nice. Like others have commented, it almost reminds me of Mama...almost, but I quite approve the effect and the intentions, and will enjoy the rest of this growler for sure, and look forward to more (on cask?) when next I visit Duluth. (....someday?...)
--------------------------------------

To think, "some day" took nearly 7 years!
More Fitger's beers to come!

No comments: