Monday, May 7, 2012

Harriet SolBock Maibock


Harriet SolBock Maibock. Available only at the brewery, debuted at SolBock Revival 2012, April 21, (unfortunate that there was virtually no "sol" that day), the official "hard open" of the Taproom, and for sale currently in growlers or on tap in aforementioned room.

I do like a good maibock from time to time, but would never consider it a "go-to" style for me. I'll still turn to one if the time is right, and it's well made. So, let's look at this one:

Bright golden color, slim white head. This is the second day for this growler. I opened it last night, but didn't feel like writing just then. My memory tells me that the head was larger in a fresh pour.

Aromatics: a mostly malty affair, with plenty of cereal grain, and whiffs of honey. Traces of malt sweetness.

Taste: Bright, full of flavor on the palate, big, shiny hops, and major malt, but all done in light, sunshiny fashion. Medium-bodied, light and highly drinkable, but with constant flashes of tastiness. After a while, it comes back to me, and I get it, as the hop bitterness gets more prominent, and stays long on the palate. This is not even close to a "traditional" maibock in any sense, and Harriet calls it a "Harriet-style" maibock, as the single hop employed is the tropical fruit-y American hop Amarillo. Long lasting bitter touch to match the buttery sweetness. German-style IPA? Or just a  clean malty lager, with persistent hoppiness? Mmmm and ahhh, zesty, malty, and a joy to consume.

No comments: