Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Summit Pilsner

Notes from April, 2003:


When Summit announced this, their first year-round lager, 2 years ago, I was skeptical. I'd long enjoyed their pale ale, IPA, porter, and more. Why do they need to mess around with a pils? I was more reassured when I found that their new brewmaster had come from Jamaica's Red Stripe, one of few pilseners I can happily toss back.

Color is a clear golden hue, head is chalk-white, large, loud, and bubbly.

Aroma is fresh and clean, zesty, dryly hoppy, with small notes of citrus, straw, sea-foam.

Lively and hoppy palate, short, but pleasant finish. Crisp, snappy, and perfectly balanced. Everything is in proper order, and if I had nothing heartier at hand, this would easily be a lager of choice.

Very tasty, with a touch of underlying sweetness. A perfectly put-together pils.

No comments: