Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fitger's Wildfire Lager

My last beer of the night last night was one I didn't want to have, but had to have. Just in order to share these notes with you. As you may or may not know, my intention with this blog is to share what I'm drinking now, even if the notes were originally written long ago. Doing this means that I'm not going to post any reviews of beers I'm not drinking currently. All of the notes have to be accompanied by a photo of the very beer I'm drinking now. So, I had to have a glass of this stuff. Told the bartender of my voyage and the long years I've waited to get here, and he insisted on buying me the beer.
Almost seven years ago, June of 2005, a friend, Paul, if I remember correctly, brought me a growler of this, and here is what I wrote:

I had the previous version of this at the Autumn Brew Review 2004, last fall, and it set my face on fire! Supposedly mellower, this is the new brew, courtesy of a growler delivered by fantome, bless his heart.

Peppers peek out on first pouring the brew, hot, hot, hot!!!

Clear amber/crimson color, no head at all...
Aroma: ow! Hot, hot, hot!!! 100% peppery! wow, what a mix!
Taste: AAAHHH!!!! OWWWW!!! OH, JEEZUS!!! AH, AH, AH, Ah, A?HHHH!!!!@HOLY F*@$!!! SH*%!!!
...take a drink of water...does no good...MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE!!! AGAIN!!!

I think I'd prefer this as an ale, actually, with a bit more going on in it, to provide some balance, something else going on to contend with the heat...the HEAT! WHOA< GOD, IT's STILL ATTACKING MY TONGUE@!!! AAAHHH!!!!

I swear to God, I will finish this pint...on this, I swear...OW!!! I really mean it!!!
Holy F*^&..pant, pant...wheeze, wheexe...Holy m%th#rF87=ng H#((!!

Better than Crazy Ed's Cave Creek, but still suffers by lacking the body and flavor it would get just by being top fermented with ale yeast, I think, ever humbly...

more water, gulp, gulp, cool down, cool down...

I loook at the 1/2 pint left, and fear it...what will I do with the rest of the growler?
water, water, water...yet temperature still rises...

read fantome's review and hear of the peppers employed to learn of the intensity...Great Vishnu, Almighty Zeus, Most Honored Mohammad, Towering Jupiter, Blessed Buddha...someone save me!!!

...the drinkability is impaired because it can't be called "average" or anything higher...what can it be compared to? Nothing!

and, yet it's quite good, for what it is, which is nothing like anything else...my lips are ablaze, and I haven't touched it in 5 minutes...Oh, please, most benificent Odin...Jesus, Buddha, Spongebob...someone...help...someone help...
-------------------------

This was almost my exact experience last night, but in this instance I had water constantly coming, and half a pale ale at my side, and there weren't 64 ounce to contend with. And what's more, I could still feel the flavor on my tongue nearly two days later.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I just had this beer...it is best with food and not to every ones taste but I really liked it. Bringing a growler home with me.

Dan