Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fitger's Big Boat Oatmeal Stout

My first beer of the day yesterday was Fitger's Big Boat Oatmeal Stout, on cask. I first wrote notes on it from a growler in July of 2006. And here they are:


Once again, I call the Brewhouse, am told the Stout isn't available in growlered form, and yet somehow my friend returns with a growler for me. Did he just know the secret handshake, or what?

Pours solid stygian, under a thinnish, though staying slab of cocoa foam.

Roast coffee hits the nose from the start, hints of chocolate, very earthy, yet invigorating...

And it lands on the palate fully in command, take no prisoners, storms the bastions, plows on through...big, forceful, but smooth...

Full bodied, to say the least, but not too thick, and very balanced in flavor, some bitter and some sweet, but not too much of either...just the right pithy mean. This is stout to be reckoned with, not too smooth, or bottomed out, it's sturdy, substantial, delivers consistently with flavor...and I've only finished half my first pint!

Damn, this is good stuff! I must make it up to Duluth and try it straight off the tap!

(looking at other reviews,well, I definitely am not drinking anything "light" or "watery". Either this is a better batch/new recipe, or it's better from the growler than the nitro tap!)

-------------------
Finally having it at the brewery, I was more than satisfied in each and every aspect!

No comments: