Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Grupo Modelo Corona Extra

Against my better judgement, the parade of Mexican beers continues. To make things fair, I tell you what, I'll find some good Mexican beers after we wade through these. #2, Corona, with notes from May, 2003, ...and nine years later, I haven't changed my opinion much. But I have learned that, yes, those pieces of fruit make all the difference.

-------------------------


I swore that I wouldn't review any crap that I knew to be crap unless a sample was provided gratis, and guess what? Providence provides.
I will begin my scrutiny by violating several rules of the sacred canon of Corona consumption: 1: I pour the "beer" from the bottle into a glass, 2: WITHOUT ANY LIME! And so...

appearance: totally transparent, color matching that of a very pale urine sample, head exists, is frothy and white (has anyone, ever, conceived of Corona's head?).

Aroma: stinky, skunky, suggesting nothing beyond the liquid leavings of sick, sad, rabid animals. Foul, rancid, polluted, poisonous.

Now to drink: harsh, sour, cornish, wince-inducing, not-the-least-bit-good. Possesses none, absolutely not a one of the qualities we would want to find in ANY beer...body, character, finish (oh, no!), hops, malt, texture, flavor, ad infinitum...but wait, I didn't give it the benefit of the doubt, employing the preferred method, inclusion of lime...why, I have some wedges right here!
Mmmmm!!!! Limey! Yep, you can really taste the lime, oboy! Boy, I can drink a million of 'em now! Ahhhh! Give me a bucket of Coronas, some limes, the beach, and volleyball, ..and then kill me...
This is the best selling imported beer in America. Have mercy on us all.
(I wish there were negative points available. One star seems too charitable.)
Wait, did I get this wrong?It's a lemon, right? No, a pearl onion...a watermelon slice....a cherry tomato?

No comments: