Friday, May 11, 2012

Fitger's XXX English Ale

Back from Duluth, with four Fitger's growlers, 2 bottles from Borealis Fermentary, and 1 from Thirsty Pagan. I'll give a look, via photos, of the other beers I didn't, and couldn't take notes on, tomorrow, perhaps. Notes on the first Fitger's Brewhouse growler, consumed early this morning, commence currently:


Fitger's Brewhouse XXX English Ale. 6% ABV (I think.) Extra Special/Strong Bitter Ale. All English hops and malt in this, or so I hear.

got this one fresh off the tap this morning, once the pub opened. I brought with me to Duluth 3 glass growlers and one nalgene plastic "adventure" growler, that someone got for me many years ago, and once held (according to the sticker on the cap) "IPA." Took all for of them to the BrewHouse Beer store, only to be told that they couldn't swap out the plastic nalgene growler, I'd have to get it filled upstairs at the pub. Walked along the lakeshore until Fitger's opened and here we have it, and I'm going to get to it.

Appearance: Clear, with coppery/bronze coloration, half inch of of off-white head.

Aromatics: lightly sweet and malty, a little floral and fruity, showing restraint from hops, pleasantly placid.

Taste: All malt flavors at play here, just a little grainy, a touch sweet, and ever-so-slightly fruity. Toasty, with caramel and toffee malt flavors, and just the slightest edge of bitterness. Touch of roasted malt. Malty flavors keep getting rich and deeper as we drink up, and I like it more and more. Earthy, nutty, with just enough caramel malt sweetness and just enough bitter hops to offset it.

Denser and richer than a typical ESB. That means I like it. I still haven't started liking bitters and ESB, not significantly. Oh, they're okay, but I can never really LIKE-like them, you know.

This 64-ounce vessel will pass the liquid through my innards with the greatest of ease!

No comments: