Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cerveza Tecate

I'm going all-out, doing two in a row, filling out the three I've previously reviewed. The next two, I've got to put my thinking cap on for, and I don't feel like doing that tonight. This one was specifically asked for by the promoter of the Latin Night, and we sold probably two. Oh, well, if we keep this up for another 23 events, we'll unload them all, right?

I'd like to share these notes, from January, 2009, for I am especially proud of this ramble that fills a lot of space while avoiding talking about the beer, about which there is very little to say. Notes, away!

-------------------------


I am in possession of a can of Tecate, because I bought some for my bar for a new Latin night on Sundays. Although, actually, the Ecuadorans who are promoting it only told me to make sure I had bottles of Modelo (and, oddly, the main promoter did most of the drinking. Sold lots of Heineken.) and Corona. They never asked me to get Tecate.

So, what possessed me? I think I may have been influenced by the great scene in Hellboy 2, when Red and Abe get drunk on this beer, whine about women, and sing along to Barry Manilow. I used to love Barry Manilow, back when I was a teen. Why? Obviously, I wasn't very cool. I was into oldies and easy listening...not a rocker by a stretch. Maybe influenced by my girlfriend of the time. I was a sponge. Lord knows, I had no good music influences in my life at the time, that would come later.

Actually, I was a jazz guy in waiting. Loved anything that came close to it on the radio. Adored that Sonny Rollins sax solo on "Waiting on a Friend" by the Rolling Stones before I ever knew who he was...but I grew up in the suburbs! It took until senior year until I came close to knowing jazz, discovering KBEM 88.5 FM, finding some Miles Davis albums in the library.
 But, actually, Barry got me closer, can you believe it? In 1984, he made an album called "2 a.m. Paradise Cafe", with such luminaries as Sarah Vaughan, Mel Torme, Shelly Manne, and Gerry Mulligan. Of course, I had no idea who they were at the time, but it was a great record. A lyric by Johnny Mercer was given music by Manilow and turned into "When October Goes", which existed as a theme song in my sentimental heart for a while. I loved that record as a weird, nerdy 16 year old.

A few years later, I took that record to a Manilow signing at a Minneapolis record store, with my funk-loving best friend. We were the only males who weren't wearing store tags. Now, that I'm feeling nostalgic for that record, I'm going to have to have to start scouring the used LP shops of the Twin Cities...why did I ever sell my signed Barry Manilow album...the only really good record he ever made?

Oh, but about Tecate!

yellow. clear. foam, white, .... smelly.. .corn... ew! not good...
Taste: not much...no flavor...nope...blah! Yuh! Yick.
Pretty not much. Huh...I'm yearning to switch this for a real beer...ah, real beer...I just can't LIVE! Without You!

No comments: