Monday, June 4, 2012

Boom Island Thoprock IPA



Boom Island Brewing Company Thoprock IPA. Handcrafted Belgian style ale. Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I have to pause for a moment and consider that this is the first time a bottle of this size, full of a beer of this style, has appeared on local beer shelves, with Minneapolis, Minnesota appearing amongst the verbiage. Harriet was the first Minneapolis brewery in decades, but they haven't sent bottles to local stores, and Fulton started bottling locally last year, but not in packages quite like this. I don't know why, I just consider that significant.

This is my first Boom Island brew in a bottle, after having some in a sample months ago at the Muddy Pig. I was not carried away by the brew then, but there are so many factors at play, I decided it was best to wait to have a full serving before rendering judgement. And these bottles were only sold at a few stores, far away from me, until just now, when I found them at Chicago-Lake Liquors, mere blocks away from my home. Yay! So, away, we go, with the Thoprock, and here's what we find on the label:

"Why would anyone name a handcrafted IPA after THOPROCK, the notorious heavy metal festival in Belgium? Just how hard do the hops rock? Are they turned up to 11? Can you handle the shredding? Will it make you cast aside your clothing and DANCE NAKED IN A FIELD?"

All very good questions. Before we answer them, more: "Yes, we brew traditional Belgian-style craft beers. No, we're not monks. That's not a requirement anymore. Thankfully. While our inspiration may not be divine, we hope you'll agree the result very much is. Savor slowly and in moderation, and visit us, blah, blah, blah…"

More: "The skinny on THOPROCK
…wait, that part gives away my game, so, let's wait until the notes are done, okay. 8% Alc./Vol. that part I'll let go. And now, to uncage, and de-cork.

Opaque, deep crimson hue, under a slim, rocky, lacy white head, looking nice.

Aromatics: Belgian yeast funk hits the nose right off, fruity, lightly bitter, and wild and crazy. Trifle sour. Funky fruity. Tres intrigue.Some citrus.  Not quite like any other beer I've sniffed.

Now, to taste: Lands on the tongue with full, fierce Belgian yeast fervor, and hop bitterness roaring behind, if a bit meekly. Compare this not to an IPA, nor to any "Belgian IPA" (still a very ill-defined category), just yet. We need to keep drinking…There's some grapefruit and pine creeping up, some nice buzz on the palate, but played very mellow. Just a nice hoppy buzz. But is it enough to be an IPA, or just a hoppy APA? There are more questions than answers, though I will offer that this is certainly not a "traditional Belgian-style craft beer." Or, is it? More questions. Few answers. It feels a little like an American-style Belgian IPA, and it also feels a bit like an extra-hoppy Belgian pale ale.

What are the hops, I wonder? Now, is the time to check that information box.
"Aroma: citrusy nose from classic American dry hops. (Which ones?And what are "dry hops"? Do they mean "dry-hopping?")
Appearance: rich amber colored beer with a tight white head.
Flavor: Assetrive bitterness balanced by a clear (?) malty backbone. West coast type hops round out the experience with a nice punch of flowery grapefruit type citrus flavor.
Overall impression: Gives the impression of a classic American IPA. It's 8% ABV is elusively achieved through a special Belgian fermentation process. "

I don't know what to think about this. Not very well written, and not quite clear, as well. And why is the Belgian nature expressed through the ABV, not the flavor. What we have is not an American IPA at 8% ABV, via Belgian fermentation, it's the flavor that is affected, not merely the alcohol percentage. Odd that they describe it this way.

I like this, despite that. It is very tasty, quite enjoyable. This doesn't displace any of my favorite Belgian-style IPAs, but it's a nice addition to the growing sort-of style, and a very good addition to the local brewing scene. I have a bottle of the dubbel in the fridge, and I'm planning on doing a side-by-side with the Borealis dubbel I've been hanging onto for nearly a month. That store nearby also has the pale ale, and there's a triple I need to get my hands on.

But, this beer? Final thoughts? Tasty. Warming. Nicely hopped. Very nice. For a drinkable, sessionable Belgian-style IPA, I'm still reaching for Harriet West-Side. If I don't mind getting a touch inebriated, here's where I'll go.

No comments: