Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Three Floyds Zombie Dust Pale Ale

There was a time when I paid closer attention to the internet ramblings of that microcosm known as the beer geek (beyond my own, of course) than I do now. Part of what keeps me away from that circle of fussbudgets is the super-nerdy particularity of their desires. For instance, I'll never forget that consistent complaining on one forum, or board, or what-have-you, on one site, that the Town Hall Brewery makes "too many" pale ales. A new beer would be announced, and the sarcastic call went out, loud and clear, "great, ...ANOTHER pale ale." It could feature a hop you'd never heard of, it could be a completely novel invention in brewing, but because it's "just another pale ale", and not, say, a bourbon barrel barley-wine, or a blueberry infused baltic porter at 14% alcohol, well, ho hum.

There are some simple facts the internet geeks forget: 1. Pale ales are popular. 2. Customers can drink a lot of them. 3, These facts combine to produce a new fact: the brewery will sell many pints very quickly. This will not happen with that pumpkin/coconut imperial stout. You and your five internet geek friends can have that one all to yourselves for weeks at a time, while everyone else drinks the pale ale up.

But some breweries are immune to this kind of criticism, and the hype surrounding their releases crumbles any resistence. Three Floyds Brewing of Munster, Indiana currently has a pale ale, brewing with only the new hot hop Citra, that is all the rage. It has received unanimous praise roundly, far and wide, more so than any pale ale (not including Alpha King) they have ever produced.  And locally, my friends post on facebook and untappd and elsewhere whenever they drink one, and how they just got some and how much they love it. It's a gushfest, and one I could not participate in, since I have not visited any store that carries it (didn't see it on my last few visits to Wisconsin), haven't traded for it, no one has shared one with me. Until now, and it was Dave A., again to the rescue, and finally, though I have nothing but admiration for the fine beers of Three Floyds, I had the opportunity to see if it hold up to the immense hype.

One thing I'll mention before going further, is that this is the least likely name I'd imagine for a beer of this kind. Nothing about bright, shiny, citric hop flavor in a lean bodied ale seems to correlate with any associate with these dreaded creatures of horror fiction. Until you buy into their scenario that this is your refreshment at hand while plugging away at the cannibalistic beasts during the coming zombie apocalypse. Okay. Whatever.

Here they come, my notes from last night's bottle (thanks again to Dave!):


Zombie Dust. Three Floyds pale ale with 100% Citra hops. 6.2% ABV.

Clear, amber/apricot/peach coloration. Generous heap of ample snowy white froth atop. with loads of lace-leaving. Looks great.

Aromatics: Big fresh and floral hoppitude, overflowing citrus notes. Some lemon, some lime, a hint of pineapple, a gesture towards mango. Loud, lively, and lovable.

Taste: boom, there it is, bouncing on the palate, swimming in the mouth, a flood of hoppy goodness. Medium malty mouthfeel, nothing too heavy, nothing too hard, just a ton of easy-drinking-ness. A flood of fruit hits the sense with each new sip, a blast of citrus greets the tongue and hits the roof, and slides down the throat. Very refreshing, and super-extra-consumable.

Yes, I will want another bottle of this (yet there is no other), and I will have 2, or 3, or 4, and be utterly happy, and uplifted and transported to the bliss of hoppitude unheard of, and then, night will come, and slumber will overtake me, and the morning, and work, and the regular routine, and the doldrums of daily life, and then the alarm rings, and the commute, and the return to freedom, and the promise of more of this Zombie Dust!
---------------------------------------


Okay, at the end there, I think I went a little sarcastic. But I still feel if this wasn't a Three Floyds beer, if it was from some under-appreciated, under-the-radar regional, it wouldn't get quite the love. If Summit Saga were a Three Floyds beer, people would lose their minds over it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know I have said this to you, Al, but I'll say it again for anyone who read the Bitter Nib: If you want to enjoy an all-Citra-hopped pale ale like Zombie Dust, you need not travel to Munster, Indiana. Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue, for my money, is Zombie Dust's equal. And it's only 2-3 hours away, in Decorah, Iowa.

Al McCarty said...

Well, what are you waiting for, Dave, go get me some!