Sunday, June 10, 2012

Orkney Skullsplitter

It's still drizzling. I'm having one more before getting out of here. Going back to bottles, and heading to Scotland for one I know I haven't had in a long time. The Skullsplitter , from the Orkney Brewery, apparently "5000 years in the making.""The Authentic Orcadian Ale."

notes from a bottle, June, 2004:


Clear, bright garnet hue,nearing auburn, with huge carbonation, bubbles all over the place, with a flush head of beige foam that goes down in a flurry of vanishing bubbles.

Aroma, deeply, darkly malty, woody, some spices float about in the nose, caramel, some fruitiness, dark ones, grapes and cherries, a wealth of complexities...

nice taste, caramel leads the flavor, just nearly definable as "rich", but not quite..nay, not quite as full in the mouth as we'd hope, and then the booze kicks in, and it tastes something like a blend of dark rum and cherry brandy. I swear I wasn't drinking officer, well, one teensy little beer, maybe...

Body's a bit medium, finish is, too, doesn't quite maintain a presence on the palate. Overall, a tasty, boozy blend of malt and fruit.
For the sake of my skull, though, I plan to visit this brew at well-spaced intervals.

No comments: