Friday, June 15, 2012

Magic Hat #9


Bought a Magic Hat sample case recently, 4 different beers, 3 each. Two I've never even heard of, and two staples in their stable. First, I'll look back on notes from February, 2003 of their flagship ale, #9. When I first started trading for beers, this was one of the breweries I most wanted to try. Why? They just seemed kind of cool. Maybe all the artsy stuff fooled me? Anyway, notes ahoy!

A confusing label here. "not quite pale ale" What does that mean? "natural flavor added" Which ones? If you "read" the psychedlic/op-art label, you'll find the image of an apricot. I still don't know why it's called #9..
Peachy color, with a short, white head. Aroma is the very essence of apricots! I read that it's "a pale ale with a spritz of apricot essence." Some spritz! That's the chief aromatic, and flavor, but, I don't mind, I love apricots.
Texture is full and welcome. Light body, good hop play on the palate, but very little bitterness. Malt is in adequate supply. A very tasty , bright, delicious ale, that I enjoyed.

However, my curiousity was originally piqued by an article in All About Beer, which quoted Magic Hat president Alan Newman saying, "I can look people in the eye and tell them 'you'll never have another beer like this!'" Well, I have, it was called Pyramid Apricot Ale.
Or maybe Pyramid doesn't get to Vermont?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You recently disavowed comparing one beer to another. The Al I know would say, "it tastes like #9", not, "it tastes like Pyramid Apricot Ale".

Hmmm.

Al McCarty said...

You are aware that people change over the course of nine years, correct? Also, it does.

Unknown said...

I am aware of that. But you told me you don't compare beers just last week.

Al McCarty said...

But did I tell you that in 2003?

Doug Grubbs said...

Pyramid was bought out by Magic Hat, and thus they can make statements like that. As a native East-coaster who now lives in Portland, I am stoked to know that I can get my favorite beer here, even if it goes by a different name.

Al McCarty said...

As Johnny Carson: "I did not know that!"