Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dave's BrewFarm Hibiscus Lager

BrewFarm, hurrah!

After two month's absence, I made it out to the LaBrewatory today, thanks to Jason, Angie and the whole Braunwarth clan, and the spacious van. Took home 4 growlers this time, and a case of delicious Matacabras, and a lovely new BrewFarm snifter. First one opened, the Hibiscus Lager, and here come the notes...


Hibiscus Lager.  From a growler just brought back from the BrewFarm mere hours ago. I'm cracking this one right now, and pouring into my new BrewFarm snifter, which was "christened" about six hours ago, nine times over. Let's drink some Hibiscus lager, okay?

Semi- clear, amber-to-crimson appearance, generous snowy-white from holds court on top. Looks fantastic.

Aromatics: very delicate, light and flowery. Extraordinarily subtle and beautiful. Not much beyond that, but not much else needed.

Taste: starts in on the mouth fruity and malty, medium bodied, and very smooth and refreshing. Quite a flavorful, consumable lager, with so much sweet subtleties going on, I both don't know where to begin, and wonder when to stop. Not a lot needs to be said, but these light, distinctive subtleties make all the difference. And when I float in an adjective like "beautiful", I'm not screwing around. I don't trot that out for nothing' jack. Ditto for "pretty". I hold that in reserve for special occasions, and I don't toss it out lightly, for fear of ridicule, am I right? Am I right? That guy over there knows what I'm talkin' about!

This is kind of exception for all the times I say I "don't like lagers." Although, I think the hops used aren't typically used in lagers, and while Pils is for sure, is Ashbourne Mild…and I don't know why I'm even treading this ground, because nothing at the BrewFarm is typical, ever.

The hibiscus is mainly found in the aroma, but the other delights of this lager are just the result of the marriage of the parts, which are, again, unique and unheard of. As much as one must respect tradition, I doff my headgear to Farmer Dave for his non-stop investigations into new realms and recipes. Here's a lovely lager with so much flavor you're never bored, you're never just drinking, you're never just tossing it back for thirst, or the sake of getting drunk.

Three more left in the growlers I brought back from this BrewFarm visit, the first in over two months, and there's one more lager among them. Think I'll crack that tomorrow.

Here's the technical info:

"Botanical Series. 6.1 % ABV. --A new twist in the series using lager yeast coupled with Pils and Ashbourne Mild malts. Mount Hood and Nugget hops, and a late addition of Hibiscus flowers."

No comments: