Friday, January 1, 2016

Barley John's Little Barley Session Ale

Here is another of Barley John's canned ales, and it's one I first took notes on over 11 years ago, from a growler bought at the brewpub. April 7, 2004. It's known at the brewpub as Little Barley Bitter, but the name has wisely been changed. The sort of folks who enjoy this beer would be put off by the word "bitter." This is a scientifically proven fact.

Here are those old notes.


Clear, light copper color, thin, white, bubbly head.

Nose is fresh, though plain, yeasty, and faintly fruity.

Crisp taste, neat, tasty, tidy bitterness, great malty feel, excellent balance.
An easy quaffer, this, slightly sweet, but sure, and perfectly fills the bill for the style. I can imagine that this does the trick when a beerlover comes into the pub, needing a brew for the less adventurous companion.

Decent bitter, though I'd choose one of their bigger brews.

Eleven years later, I'd say it's still the same. Not going to be a choice for me, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

No comments: