Saturday, January 23, 2016

Insight Devil's Companion Porter (aka Chapter LXXIV: Taming the Devil's Companion)

Here we have another label-less sample of a beer that's actually available in cans. Why didn't they bring me a can? How was it filled? I hope not directly from the taproom faucet. As I said before, that doesn't work so well. It's from Insight Brewing, it's their English Porter and it's 5.3% ABV. Let's drink it up!

Clear, dark brown coloring, short-lived head.

Aroma is roasty, lightly bitter, nice and dry.

Taste: toasty, roasty malt flavors dominate. Medium bodied. Kind of boring. Kind of one-dimensional. It's okay, nothing wrong with it....chocolate malt flavors, dry roasted notes. But pretty lifeless on the palate. I don't recall being especially impressed with it on tap, but I'm just not getting anything of substance from this bottle. I will hunt down a can, or visit the taproom once more to give it another go, while leaving this impression published. I want to like it, I do, but for now....eh.....

UPDATE: Drinking from can...I'm liking this more. More dry, more roast, more cocoa and coffee. This is not a bad porter in the least, in fact I would say that it is very good. I'd recommend it to porter drinkers. Maybe even to everyone. No, no, it's not for everyone. There are still those who just can't hang.

No comments: