Monday, January 4, 2016

Fair State Old Richmond Rye

Here's a beer I knew nothing of, until I saw the bottle. Okay, I'm-a gonna drink it. Batch 01. Bottle #139. Rye whiskey barrel old ale, 7.3% aBV, 40 IBU. Okay, let's drink it. Brewed by Fair State Brewing Cooperative, Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Partnership with 45th Parallel Distillery in New Richmond, Wisconsin.

Very murky appearance, highly haze, rich mahogany coloring, slim head that settles quick.

Aroma is big-time whiskey notes: cherries, vanilla, and oak. Just fine by me.

In the mouth: whiskey notes are huge right from the start. Big bourbon, vanilla, dark cherry and other fruits. Big malt, low hops, huge whiskey-fied flavoring. Doesn't translate through the alcohol, but it positively boils over in the flavor. Rich richness from New Richmond, via Minneapolis. Wow, this is delicious. Dee-lish-us.

I'm digging it big time, and wondering what some time would do for it. Maybe I ought to buy another for the cellaring, before they're all gone?

2 comments:

Burgy said...

Where did you buy it? Brewery?

Al McCarty said...

Stinson's in NE Mpls.