Sunday, December 24, 2017

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero. Mexican style chocolate stout. Ale brewed with natural flavors and natural flavors added. 9% ABV, 6 IBU. American Double/Imperial Stout. Ipswich, MA.

Solid blackness, deep and impenetrable, cocoa-tinged head up on top. Looking great.

In the nose: Vanilla, cream, peppers, chocolate. A little cinnamon. Very nice.

In the mouth: Big roasted malt flavors up front, with some hop bitterness, but very little. And the rest come roaring in: the peppers, the cinnamon, all kept in check with vanilla and whatever's bringing that cream. Big, malty, rich. Full-bodied, full flavored, hot and heavy.

I've had this before, when I chose a keg for Acadia. A sample came my way from the Sample Man, and I was astonished that I'd never had a bottle (or, it turns out, a can) that I reviewed here. The last time I had a Clown Shoes beer, I vowed to keep at their vast supply of beers, and I shan't shirk that duty. I do like this brewery quite a bit.

Question, though: Are these "Mexican-style chocolate stouts" really brewed in Mexico? Are they really a style that originated in Mexico? Or did some gringo think it up? Someone let me know if there's a Mexican brewery tossing vanilla, cinnamon and peppers in their chocolate imperial stout. Please. I have got to know.

Roasted dark malts plus extra chocolate malts plus ancho chile plus cinnamon plus vanilla extract plus a chocolate loving, beer drinking, Clown Shoes wearing, multi-limbed, gorgeous and glorious Mexican wrestler on the label. That’s the recipe for a Chocolate Sombrero!

No comments: