Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Sociable Ciderwerks Rusty Chain Cranberry Apple Cider / MN Breweries One by One #90

I'm not a cider drinker. Just don't get what I like from beer in ciders. Sorry. Not sorry. But I keep getting ciders because people want to sell me ciders. What people? The people who make and sell cider, of course. In an effort to clear out my fridge by year's end, I'm going to focus on the ciders for a bit.

We'll start with Rusty Chain, the first appearance of Sociable Ciderwerks here in the Nib. (No, not really.)And you know, while we're at it, I'll conclude this post by writing about my visit to Sociable last year, as the 90th brewery (/cidery) that I visited in 2016.

First, Rusty Chain, the only sample of Sociable that I've ever been able to take home. I had samples at work before, but the salesman insisted on drinking them then and there. When I see the cans in stores, I don't spend my money on them, because, well, I'm not a cider drinker. Thanks to the Sample Man for these, and for letting me take it home.

Rusty Chain Cranberry Apple Cider. Enjoy Every Freshly Pressed Batch. Crafted and canned by Sociable Cider Werks, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. 6.6% ABV. Ingredients: fresh pressed apples, cranberries, sorghum, hops, yeast. Naturally gluten free.

Clear, bright cranberry red, slim pinkish head.

In the nose: tart, fruity, dry. There's the cran, there's the apple. Nice.

In the mouth: Very dry. Clean, crisp, easy drinking. Plenty of fruit, more cranberry than apple. Good cider and you can drink it.

Rusty Chain links together a blend the Midwest’s finest freshly pressed apples with ripe cranberries. The result is a bright rose color, light body and brilliant berry flavor that balances tart acidity with gentle residual sweetness.

Now on to Sociable in general. They opened up at 1500 Filmore St. NE in 2013 with a mix of ciders and beers. I popped in once that year with Dave A., tried some of the beers, didn't go for the ciders, a pattern I kept up with just about every time in the place. Did I ever takes notes or bring back growlers of these beers? Not once. Nothing against them, just wasn't what I was going to do.

My next visit was in 2014, as one of the last stops on my attempt to bike to each Minneapolis brewery on one day. (Link provided above.) If memory serves, I made it there again later that year for the second annual NE Brewer's Block Party. Is that right? Did they do the first one their first year in business? Or did I go in 2015? Damn this memory! Untappd is no help. My first check-in is for Crystal Hop in 2014, then the two in '16 at the fest, one at a party at Dave's, and then a Rusty Chain at Acadia, when I finally decided to bring them on tap. Only 5 times in 3 1/2 years. Because other places are breweries, and here the focus is cider. And I needn't keep repeating about me and cider.

I biked up to NorthEast Minneapolis that Sunday to take part in this festival in which Sociable hosted just about all of the breweries and distilleries of NE in a big old party in their parking lot. Bands were playing, games were about, tons of food trucks, a jolly good time. I recommend you check it out next time they do this. I had an Indeed, a Dangerous Man, and from the bar inside, a few of
Sociable's beers, and not a single cider. Their ciders are quite good and they really know what they're doing, but I never want to reach for one. I'll try to get my hands on some more cans and review them here in the future.

I didn't stay very long at the festival, had a few beers, took some pics, hung out with friends, and it's in the books, brewery #90. Time to move on, for I was bound to bust into #'s 91, 92, & 93 still that night. And I did too: 612Brew, Clockwerks, & Inbound. I'll get around to them, just as I finally finished this.

Something else: I've never taken notes on the beers, or the ciders, at Sociable because I've always been there in social situations (imagine that), hanging out with friends or relatives. I never pull out the notebook then, at least very rarely. I'll do that soon, as I give them a visit in my new project of revisiting all the local breweries. I'll tell you about that soon. Just what I needed, a new reason to spend money, hang out in breweries, drink beers (and ciders!), and tell you about it.
I don't remember the name of this band. Skipper &
the Little Buddies? 
Seems like I'm always bumping into these guys!
They called this one Peachy Kolsch. It was.
This one they named Hoppy Beer. It was that, too.

No comments: