Saturday, December 30, 2017

Minneapolis Breweries Day by Day #2: Lakes and Legends & White Earth IPA

Lakes & Legends Brewing in Loring Park appeared here for the first time in April of 2016, their entry in Minnesota Breweries One by One, based on a visit in late March. I'd been there twice before that I can confirm, but hadn't written about their beers yet. I'd put them in the "eh, they're alright" pile, although other reviewers had less kind remarks to make. When sample bottles came my way (I never bought any that I saw in the store, sorry to say.), I was less impressed. My sales rep informed me that they'd gotten better, and based on the newer samples, he was right. Time to revisit the taproom.

It looks as if I haven't been back since April '16, at least not by the evidence of any public records. Or private, for that matter. (I went once at the end of April when they were showing "Purple Rain" in the taproom on the Monday after Prince died, with Nate Beck selling his Natedogs inside. That's probably when I got my second growler fill from them.)Why not? Well, the reasons listed above, and the fact that if I'm in this neighborhood, I'm usually going to Sisyphus. Sorry, I do have favorites. But it's near the top of the list for this project, and it's on the way to work. I don't have to start until 6 today, plenty of time. Also, it's a block away from a gaming and comic book store I wanted to check out. I was told that it was either awesome or the bomb, can't remember which. I jumped off the bus at at Lyndale and Oak Grove, walked through Loring Park and stepped into Mead Hall on Lasalle Avenue.

I didn't spend much time at that store because they didn't have that first issue of Marvel Two-in-One (Volume Two) that came out last week. In fact, the clerk hadn't heard of it. "Maybe it's in the back issues already, could be sorted with the Fantastic Fours?" Well, at least he knew what team Benjamin J. Grimm used to belong to, but when I asked if they had the latest Silver Surfer? Blank stare. What? You don't know who the Silver Surfer is?!? Go back to your 15-sided dice, nerd! I'm going to get a beer. (I know that some might think that a comic book nerd is no different from an RPG nerd, but I beg to differ.)

Year Two


So, down the block I go to 1368 LaSalle, and it's time to step into Lakes & Legends on a Wednesday afternoon, it's abuzz with activity, and still bedecked in holiday style. Took a seat at the far end of the bar, and perused the chalkboard, which is much more professionally lettered and illustrated than before. My eye caught the Year Two, Old Forester bourbon barrel-aged Winter Warmer, aged for one year. 11.9% ABV. Can't pass this one up. And it didn't disappoint: rich, full, roasty, chocolate and vanilla, cherries and molasses and everything nice. Maybe I'll go back and get a bottle, but I didn't feel like spending the money just then. I sipped this one slowly.

Barrel-aged saison.
I looked back at the chalkboard. The top tier held only two beers new to me, the Winter Warmer, and the White Earth IPA. In the Farm Series, I hadn't had the Sweet Corn Summer Ale (in Winter?), but it didn't appeal to me. And at the bottom, those other two in the barrel aged series, why not try one of those? I picked the Red Wine Barrel-aged Harmony Farm Saison. And I wished it had more red wine barrel parts in it. There was some, but not enough to make a difference. I had no problem drinking it, but wouldn't have another, nor would recommend it, really. Not bad, just...eh. Here's what they say: Our classic saison flavored with mild tannic notes pulled from California red wine barrels.
I feel it would benefit with more, and less mild. Just me.

I took in the surroundings, enjoyed what they've done with the place since the past year and eight months since I've been in. It looks great. Feels great. And the beers are alright. Not perfect, not amazing, but alright. I wish them well, and will continue to  try them out from time to time.

And, hey guess what, I brought my growler with me and got it filled with this:

White Earth IPA. 6% ABV.

Lightly hazy, bright golden color, slim white head.

In the nose: not a typical IPA aromatic profile in this one, some Belgian funk, some fruit, just a little bit of hop flavors. Not sure what I'm getting. I'm looking for more info, and finding nothing, not on Untappd, and their website seems very out of date. Okay, I finally found this: A clean, juicy, and citrusy IPA made with mosaic hops.

In the mouth: Here comes a nice, little spank of hop bitterness that plays on the palate then becomes nothing but smooth. Bright juicy tropical, citric hop flavors are bouncing out. Lemon-y, berry-ish. Orange and pineapple. Lean bodied, light and easy-enough drinking.

An acceptable IPA, but not an especially compelling version. From the start, this brewery wanted to dig their heels deep in the Belgian-style approach, but relented in the face of this particular community's desire for nothing but a good ol' IPA. Hey, I love 'em, but some people won't give a brewery the time of day if they don't have an IPA. Or something like it. Maybe this beer makes them happy. It's not going to win a prize from me, but there's plenty of other things I can drink.

No comments: