Saturday, December 2, 2017

Surly Barrel-aged Ten Ale



Surly Barrel-aged Ten, rum barrel-aged old ale. 10.5% ABV. Surly Brewing Company, Brooklyn Center/Minneapolis, MN.

Complete darkness, slim, soon-gone head.

In the nose: big sweetness, plenty of barrel. Potent alcohol presence. Dark fruits, molasses, and tons o' rum. Thick and sticky.

In the mouth: It's a strong ale, thoroughly covered over by the barrel, with little remnants of the ale it was before. I don't think I've had a Ten since it was released. (Wrong. According to my Untappd activity, I opened one in May.) What was it? And old ale aged on sassafras? I remember liking it. Any of the subtleties or nuances it may have had have been buried a bit by the barrel-aging.

But, I don't care. When you want the rum barrel treats, BA Ten is giving them, no tricks. Richness, decadence, a mellow nightcap. And with this I welcome slumber. Is it worth twenty bucks? I think so. I'll buy a few more to save up for special occasions.

No comments: