Thursday, December 21, 2017

Oliphant Zozo Gun India Pale Ale

Now here's a beer that I originally had back in 2015, December 27 to be exact, according to Untappd. But there must have been more pressing beers to take home from the brewery that day, because I certainly did not do a review of it. An Oliphant IPA and I didn't bring back a crowler or growler? (I look through what I did review post 12/27/2015, and well, we make choices.)

Or maybe I just hadn't gotten into the habit yet of taking home as many beers as I could? Nonetheless, it was eventually made available in kegs and I hosted one at Acadia a month or so back, but I didn't take notes from on tap, because I knew they had released cans, but guess what? I couldn't find any! Except, I just did.

So, finally, some Zozo Gun! What is Zozo Gun? An India Pale Ale with Zythos and Cascade hops, naturally. But what does the name mean? It's from a Grant Morrison comic book, like the answers to so many other Oliphant questions. (Invisibles, I think. It's a poltergeist gun. Every home should have one.) And what does Jeremy Hughes' amazing label art have to do with it? Nothing. (I don't think.) Let's drink the beer.

Clear, bright amber/golden color, big ol' white head of foam, looking perfect for an IPA.

In the nose: Ah, yes! Grassy, grapefruit, citrus and pine, all those things you get from Cascade and Zythos? I'm not the expert on Zythos. Whatever it does. But it's delightful and sure to please any hop fan.

In the mouth: Ah! Again. Beautifully bitter. Lovely attack on the tongue and the palate. Ah, yes! Wonderfulness. Lean malt body, just enough. Great balance. Great flavors. Listen, if you like IPAs, don't miss out on any of Oliphant's. Hey, I try not to skip anything they do, but if your thing is IPA, and that's it, well, you do yourself a disservice if you're not doing their IPAs. Whatever they may be. Again, I don't know what Zythos is contributing, or if they just had a ton of extra Zythos because they were on sale or something, but the Cascade are doing their thing, for certain. IPA drinkers: drink Oliphant IPAs. Boom. Mic drop. Out.

No comments: