Sunday, December 23, 2018

Junkyard Lacto BRO Cillus

Junkyard Lacto BRO Cillus. Sour Milkshake IPA. Soured by lactobacillus. 7.1 % ABV. Packaged 10/22/18. Culture. Brewed by Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN,  in collaboration with our friends at Barrel Theory Brewing Company of St. Paul, MN.

Ale Brewed with lactose, vanilla beans, passionfruit puree and peach puree.

I'm doing it, again. I'm having a go at a Milkshake IPA, even though I keep saying how much I dislike them. But, I like the breweries who make them. I like everything they make, it seems, except the milkshakes.

How can I hate something so much that they seem to love? They wouldn't keep brewing them if they didn't enjoy making them.

Can I be so out of touch? No, it is the brewers who are wrong.

Clip provided for those who don't get my Simpsons reference.

Oh, and one other thing before we drink. There are only a handful of stores that carry these crowlers and they're a bit of a trip away from where I live. I was surprised to find this one, tucked away by the fortified wine and the malt liquor, in the cooler, at a store not too far from me. If I knew they had Junkyard, I'd be stopping in more often. Now, to get them to carry Oliphant.

On with the beer:

Thoroughly and utterly hazed and clouded, dull yellow color, steady slab of ivory foam atop.

In the nose: Heavy hop notes, incoming sourness, and flush with fresh fruit. Tropical & stone fruit notes aplenty.

In the mouth: Yow! Tart attack from the start, big time sour in this, with sweetness of fruit creeping out towards the end. It's a tart/fruit tango, all the way, but not much from hops, and just the basic malts. Sweet and creamy always tangling with tart. It's interesting...and tasty...and enjoyable. But, it shouldn't be called "IPA" by any stretch. It carries none of the characteristics of an IPA. "Sour Milkshake Ale"? I don't know, but calling this an IPA...what are you thinking?

It's a good sour/fruit beer, for sure, but it's no IPA. Oh, and it's also a milkshake something, if you need your beers to be milkshake-y.

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old man, not unlike a strait-laced principal whose rod up his butt has a rod up it's butt. But, though an odd fellow, also steams a good ham.

No comments: