Sunday, December 30, 2018

Prairie Artisan Ales Double Dunk Imperial Stout with Oreo

When I think about  the production of gimmicky/novelty/adjucts ales and such, and I imagine the brewers breaking open package upon package of cookies, or breakfast cereal, powdered donuts, or what-have-you, I have to wonder, to what end? Are we really supposed to expect the flavors from these extra ingredients to come through with any of the force or the flavor as they do on the plate and the palate? And those thoughts occur when I see this on the shelf, and I plunk down my hard-earned cash.

Prairie Artisan Ales Double Dunk Imperial Stout with Oreo. 11.9 % ABV. Prairie Artisan Ales, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Absolute blackness fills the glass, with a slim, brown-tinted ring of foam, completely opaque.

In the nose: Bold, assertive aromatics, led by high alcohol, rich dark malts. Chocolate and brandy. Spices, peppers.

In the mouth: Rich and chocolatey. Creamy, boozy, ...but not especially Oreo-y. Should I be looking for the flavor of the cream center, or the chocolate cookie sandwich on the outside?

This starts out a little rough, but gets increasingly tasty. Flavors are becoming more cohesive, more formidable. And I do say that I like it. Full-bodied, rich and satisfying. Tasty, yeah, but not particularly memorable, either.

I think I missed an opportunity by not pairing the stout with actual Oreos, but I'm more of a fan of beer than that particular cookie. I like mine more soft and dough-y. Diff'rent strokes for different folks.

No comments: