Sunday, December 16, 2018

Wild Mind Artisan Ales Numb Tongue IPA

I went to Wild Mind the other day, my first visit in several months, and I tried this beer. I liked it so much I got a growler fill of it. But, I can't find any information on it anywhere. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. I'll look harder, soon, but, for now, I'll take notes with only the barest information. And away we go....


Wild Mind Numb Tongue. 6.8 % ABV. American IPA. Wild Mind Artisan Ales, Minneapolis, MN

Lightly hazed, bright golden hue, slim ivory head.

In the nose: Pop! Big citrus, juicy, tropical, awfully hoppy, utterly delightful. Little bit funky, now.

In the mouth: Yeow! Is there Brett in this, or any other funkifier? Don't know, but it does have a Belgian twist to it. Great big splash of bitterness, tons of stone fruit and citrus, too. Grapefruit and tangerines, mango, and lime. Not to mention lemon. Very, very nice.

Medium bodied, long, hoppy finish, and downright drinkable.

Here's the thing: my tongue is not numb. It's a clever, artful phrase, but it doesn't apply to this beer. Just delicious. I'll probably finish the growler tonight. And wish I had more.

The Wild Mind website has since been updated, and I've found this description: Hopped with Cascade, Centennial, Motueka, and Rakau in the kettle and during dry-hopping, Numb Tongue balances the hops with mango puree and amchoor powder (a tart powder made from drying and crushing green mangos and is common in many Indian dishes). The resulting tart IPA is bursting with  lush mango to sour lime peel fruit flavor.

So, there's our funkifier.

No comments: