Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Gray's Oatmeal Stout

Gray's Oatmeal Stout. Gray's Brewing, Janesville, WI. 5.2 % ABV, 23 IBU.


Fully ebon, slim brown head.

In the nose: roasted malt, cocoa, coffee.

In the mouth: earthy, gritty, much malt. Espresso traces and chocolate tints. Full-bodied and hearty. A little bit of sweet, ending dry. Classic Oatmeal Stout. Nicely done.

Rich in color with a strong roasted flavor and creamy texture. A true dark beer lover’s beer. Generous amounts of fresh rolled oats, paired with aromatic hops and richly roasted barley lead to the unique coffee-like flavor.

I first tried this beer over 14 years ago. Back in October of 2004, these were my far more verbose notes:

Appearance: dark black color, with reddish tinges, under a thick, toasted tan head.

Aroma: Richly roasted, deep and dark, with hints of anise and chocolate, whiskey, even, I very much enjoyed this smell and kept my snoot in it for as long as I could bear.

Marvelous presence on the palate, nicely carbonated, good hops, but the flavor leaves too quickly, and the body thins out too fast. The promise found in the aroma isn’t quite delivered in full in the flavor.
Medium to full body, with less of a finish than I’d like. Too mellow, with too bare a flavor.
I found myself loving it at the start, and less pleased while I was drinking it. If not for that, this would be an oatmeal stout I’d be most happy to have around, day-in, day-out.

It seems like I liked it better this time around.

No comments: