Friday, December 21, 2018

Utepils Ewald the Dark Dunkel Weizen

And here we have the second review of a growler from Utepils Brewing of Minneapolis. Even if you are the most ardent follower of this blog, you haven't seen the first. The reason for this is that at the time of it's writing. I was operating under a series of foolish rules that I've since deemed unnecessary. I still feel that each of my posts needs an illustration, but why did I feel that the review of Glocal IPA from a growler had to contained within the review of the brewery and taproom itself, which I kept putting off, for reasons I can't satisfactorily explain? After all, drinking the growler at home and visiting the taproom are two different experiences.

As always seems to happen, the pictures got lost, (they may still exist somewhere, but I can't get to them) and the brewery report was never written or published. Because of these types of mishaps, reviews of beers from places like Bemidji, Goat Ridge, Wabasha, Lakeville, Barley John's, Talking Waters, Foxhole, Enki, Tin Whiskers, and more never got saw the light of your computer screen. (Not mentioning all the notes taken, but let's not allow me to self-flagellate further, shall we?)

What stops me from merely publishing the review, and linking to it within the brewery review? What was I thinking? I'm going to stop that, and try to get the pics and notes out in a more timely fashion. I promise.

And guess what, some of those pics from my first visit, back in February of last year, were found and it's enough to illustrate a brewery post, which is long overdue. (Question: Why only 2 visits in almost 2 years? I have to chalk that up to being unfamiliar with the area. It's a little out of the way. Why not make a better effort to become familiar? You know that's a good question.)

So, look forward to that sooner, maybe sooner than the distance between at least six more reviews of six distinct and individual breweries, another quirky rule you probably didn't know about and which shouldn't govern my actions at all times. It's a bit OCD.

Enough of my blah, blah, blah-ing, on with the beer.....


Utepils Ewald the Dark. 5.2 % ABV. 14 IBU. Utepils Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Largely hazy, reddish brown appearance, slim off-white head above.

In the nose: banana, clove, and cocoa. All malt and Bavarian hefe weizen yeast. Slightly sweet.

In the mouth: Smooth and malty. Hefe weizen yeast character reigns supreme in the taste. More banana, plus a touch of toffee, cocoa, nuts, cola. Light bodied and expertly drinkable. Clean and rerfreshing. Tasty.


I love a good dunkel weizen, and this is one of them.

Brewed with Pale and Dark malted wheat, Carawheat, lots of Munich Malt, and a touch of roast malt, combined with German Hops and our natural spring water. 

Ewald the Dark is an unfiltered, Dunkles Weißbier that pairs notes of banana and cloves with a hint of chocolate.

Also: LIMITED TIME OFFER; THINGS ARE GETTING A BIT SHADY FOR EWALD. HE’S BEEN SNEAKING AROUND QUOTING LINES FROM EDGAR ALLEN POE AND WHISTLING THEME SONGS FROM OLD DETECTIVE MOVIES. HE ALSO BREWED A DARK VARIATION OF HIS FAMOUS HEFEWEIZEN FOR THE FIRST TIME. IT’S SO GOOD, WE SAY: EMBRACE THE DARKNESS, EWALD.

No comments: